Since MNP ie. Mobile Number Portablity is now live in India, we have a small guide to tell you how to do that. Though provider under number portability is easy but still its good to have a guide.
Before that let us know what is actually number portability. MNP allows subscriber to opt for service provider of his choice but retain his mobile number. The number gets ported to the new provider. MNP gives you freedom to shift to a better service provider with less hassle. This service is applicable to both the Prepaid as well as the Postpaid customers.
How to use MNP service ?
It is a very simple procedure to change your service provider. You can change your service provider by just follow these procedure :-
1. To change your service provider, send an SMS “PORT” followed by your mobile number from your phone to 1900.
2. Your service provider will reply with a unique porting code.
3. Use that code while filling out a detailed form for the new service provider you want to shift to.
4. Within 48 hours, your service will be activated, a nominal fee of Rs 19 will be charged for the same
What's more on MNP process ?
MNP is just not change your service provider there are more process of this service.
1. Your cell number will be switched off for only one hour. All bills after that, are paid to your new service provider. You’ll be stuck with them for at least 90 days before you can shift again.
2. While you can shift from a GSM service to CDMA or vice versa, you cannot shift from one circle to another. If you do, roaming charges will be applied as usual.
3. When you port your number, you also need to change your SIM
4. For a prepaid number, carry forward of any balance to the new service provider is not permitted.