+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Indian Hockey Team Fails to Qualifiy for Olympic:Coach resigned

Advert.

Khabri
    Khabri is offline eTI Iron

Indian Hockey Team Fails to Qualifiy for Olympic:Coach resigned

Advert.
    India's field hockey coach Joaquim Carvalho resigned on Monday after the eight-time Olympic champions failed to qualify for the Beijing Games.

India crashed to a 2-0 defeat to Great Britain in the final of the qualifying tournament in Santiago, Chile on Sunday night, ending a proud record of having played in every Olympics since 1928.

"When I took over 11 months ago, I had said I would resign if I cannot deliver results," Carvalho told Indian media in Santiago.

"So now I am keeping my word. I am as disappointed and hurt as any other Indian hockey fan."

Indian Hockey Confederation vice-president Narendra Batra also resigned, hoping to put pressure on the entire IHC administration, led by Kunwar Pratap Gill, to step down.

Note
    At one hand India won under 19 Cricket world cup and on the other side we were not even able to qualify for upcoming Olympics. What is the missing point ?

YourBuddie
    YourBuddie is offline Newbie

Re: Indian Hockey Team Fails to Qualifiy for Olympic:Coach resigned

I think it is a collective administrative failure. Players are born but their talent has to be groomed. Cricket is a succes now because lots of facilities are in place now. We have MRF pace academy, we have NCA. BCCI has been successful in marketing the sport. It would now be unfair for IHF to say that declare they do not have money!! It is their job to market the sport. Hockey is our national sport. We have won several major tournaments in the past. Did they have more money back then?? Cricket has risen with going time...but hockey has been going down!! Even Indian Team was thrown out from World Cup campaign in the league stages but just see where they are now in a span of 1 year. If needed, why don't the IHF seek the help of BCCI. Okay, the sport is different..the talent required is different but the administative functions would not differ.All said, we should support our team in this moment of crisis and should not let their moral down.......Chak de India!!!!

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

If you remember, few months back, some of the facilities given to Hockey as National game were withdrawn, I do not remember exactly what was it but something like less funding to Hockey Team. Today in news paper it was stated that now Hockey is finding difficult to get sponsors.
    So I think there is hardly bright future for Hockey when cricket is there, now people are considering cricket as career, do you think that one will think same for hockey ?

kammy
    kammy is offline eTI Copper

problem is not with players but with facilities and ruling president(gill)
    kamal

YourBuddie
    YourBuddie is offline Newbie

Well Ricky, you are absolutely correct in saying that Hockey finds very hard to get a sponsor but the prime question is why?? Long back, before India won cricket World Cup, Indian cricket team was nothing!!! Even after that win, their performance was not consistent. But they rose from there...i don't have exact info but I guess, they must have faced same problems then. And not far in past, Indian Women Cricket also did not have sponsors but they never let their performance go down. Women's cricket council was successful in getting the cover of BCCI. Lot of former players of cricket are always involved in improvement of the game. Compared to that how many talented hockey players of yesteryear are involved in the game? Its a collective Administrative failure. If they are not getting any sponsors it is because of their lack of dedication and commitment. Any organisation can not make profit from Day 1. They have to struggle and they will get the results!Blame game and dirty politics can ruin any administration. And now that the game is in tatters, the govt should look into it and save our National Game!!!

+ Post a Comment HERE!