+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

PC upgrade suggestion for AMD futureproof RIG

Advert.

technocrat
    technocrat is offline eTI Member

Question PC upgrade suggestion for AMD futureproof RIG

Advert.
    Hi folks,
    Again a question and on urgent basis. My cousin is planning to upgrade the PC to be futureproof, without changing the other components in the existing system.
    The current configuration is
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2-270
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-UD2H
    GPU: Sapphire HD 5450 GPU
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2 RAM
    HDD: 2TB WD HDD
    PSU: Antec VP450P

he wants to retain everything except the motherboard as he wants more
    RAM slots and SATA 3 slots. Please suggest a mobo that will be latest and make his future-proof. Budget not more than 8k.
    Thanks in advance.

geets
    geets is offline eTI Member
    You can look at AM3+ chipsets. You can also look at Biostar TA970, MSI 970A or Gigabyte GA970A models. All of these are around 5.5k price bracket. And for future proofing or scalability purpose you'll get 4 DIMM slots, 6 SATA 6Gbps slots and 2 PCIe slots. And for RAM opt for Corsair vengance 4GB costing 2k. So in all of your 8k budget RAM and mobo can be bought

ramcharan1990
    ramcharan1990 is offline eTI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geets View Post
    And for future proofing or scalability purpose you'll get 4 DIMM slots, 6 SATA 6Gbps slots and 2 PCIe slots.
    I liked the scalability point raised here. With 4 memory slots, you can have upto 64Gb of RAM< and with 6 SATA ports, you can attach six HDDs to form a storage array. The boards support RAID, so you can configure RAID 5 as well to get redundancy in case of HDD failure. And with dual PCIe slots, you can get CrossfireX over two GPUs.
    So, in all, with this config you can build up your machine as a ultimate gaming machine.

technocrat
    technocrat is offline eTI Member
    Thanks guys. These are full ATX form factor boards, would a microATX board be advisable here? Just a single GPU and fewer fan ports and less RAM slots will do, and that will also bring down the cost I guess. Isn't it? So, could you recommend a model for that and its price?

+ Post a Comment HERE!