Hello Hindi Movie Review (2008)-Bollywood

Advert.

Bollywood
    Bollywood is offline eTI Iron

Hello Hindi Movie Review (2008)-Bollywood

Advert.
    Hello Hindi Movie Review

THE REVIEW

Directed by Atul Agnihotri, this movie is about call center and the employees. Movie is based on well renowned writer Chetan Bhagat's book-One night at the call center. The movie talks about various tales in tales and knitting together many lives in one movie. The subject is refreshing and no doubt the story is interesting.
    The starcast of the movie is big including Salman Khan and Katrina making special appearance in the movie. Others include Arbaaz Khan, its been long to see him act in a full role. Then we have Isha Koppikar, Gul Panag, Suresh Menon, Amrita Arora, Sharman Joshi. and list goes on...
    So with fresh subject and so many faces, can Atul Agnihotri make a difference ?

Well, if you happen to one who read book already then you will find it hard time to match movie with the actual book's interest and storyline. Many things are under valued in the movie though were important in book and same goes for few things which are highlighted in movie but not really noticeable in book.

May be the book is best seller, may be Atul is himself getting assistance from author itself in the movie but seriously the movie is not good as one might expect. Unfortunately, based on famous book makes it even more stronger to have higher expectation from the movie based on that book.

Movie, ‘Hello’ revolves around the life of six individuals, all of whom work in a Call Center. One day, while at the call center, they receive a phone call, which changes their life forever. The movie is seen through the eyes of Shyam (Sharman Joshi), the male protagonist. He is in love with a girl, Priyanka (Gul Panag), who is leaving him as his career seems to have become stuck in the Call Canter, without any chances of growing beyond it. She also works at the Call Center, along with him, and is about to get married to an NRI techno geek.

Then, there is Esha (Isha Koppikar), an aspiring model who always seems to be one step away from stardom. Shyam’s friend Varun Malhotra a.k.a. Vroom (Sohail Khan) is one of the rebellious kinds, who loves to speed around on his bike, sleep and flirt with girls. Radhika (Amrita Arora) is a housewife and works at the same Call Center. At night, she is working & in the day, she is always trying to please her mother-in-law. Last member of the group is Military Uncle (Sharat Saxena), whose son has stopped him from interacting with his grandchild.

One night, then there is a call from GOD himself.. So far, many things to look into the movie but movie lacks to make you excite. It fails to create any long lasting impression on you. The credit of this ill effect goes to the screenplay. While the Atul is helped by original author of book itself ie. Chetan but seems missing the chaos to make it impressive.

On the other side, everyone in the movie did well with their given task. Sharman is always good while Sohail khan looks apart from other. Salman Khan looks good but he need to do something about his eyes, aging is clearly visible there. Katrina Kaif too with small role is fine. Music is decent in the movie and can be considered good. Direction of Atul Agnihotri looked amateurish of the time, may be credit goes to bad screenplay.

My verdict is that movie is watchable once as there is no other flick this week.

I give 2.5/5 ie. somewhat average movie, could have been better !

communicative
    communicative is offline eTI Iron

Re: Hello Hindi Movie Review (2008)-Bollywood

While reviewing the movie "HELLO," one should realize that most of the South Asian and Bollywood films are made as per a formula! There is an all-powerful male (hero) along with a funny friend, a fiendish villain plus a lovely woman (heroine), whose main forte is song and dance, and these persons along with a group of many others try to enact a melodrama, that should keep every viewer on his or her toes, until a "CLIMAX" of sorts, ends the whole movie! So when a screenplay is based on a GOOD book, then application of the formula distorts both the book's contents as well as the film's appeal. To this scenario it seems "HELLO" is no exception, but a victim!

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Yes, exactly.. the movie has no charm of the book. They must understand that its not similar always. Change is need of time and sticking to same old formula will not do any good!

Pandit
    Pandit is offline Newbie

I think this movie is getting popularity because of the NOVEL on which it ia based. Nothingelse.....

communicative

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky
    Yes, exactly.. the movie has no charm of the book. They must understand that its not similar always. Change is need of time and sticking to same old formula will not do any good!
    My friend Ricky, I am glad that you understand the HAVOC that the melodramatic FORMULA has wreaked on Sub-Continental cinema! Films based on books are made in the WESTERN countries also, but there is a World of difference, between them, and our FORMULA-BASED films! As an example I will mention a movie that won many Academy awards, but was based on a play written by George Bernard Shaw. The film was "My fair lady." It was a MUSICAL movie, but the songs were very relevant to the theme of the movie! Here a movie is going on and in a sudden burst of emotion, without rhyme or reason, all actors start a song, which though well-choreographed, may bear no real significance to the movie itself! Bollywood movie making may be compared to making a CURRY, in which the leading vegetables are the hero and the heroine, the villain is the artery-blocking ghee, who along with a host of "MASALAS" are stirred around by a DIRECTOR on a fiery heat of traditional emotions, until this formula- based concoction is dished out piping HOT to the viewing public in multi-plex or mono-plex theatres all over the country, albeit the World! Here I will answer two questions that arise, firstly why do people watch such fare in throngs? I feel that most go to spend time in a temperature-controlled environment, with near and dear ones, where the movie plays the role of a bearable distraction! Secondly movie-mongers claim that this movie is an ACTION movie (Don, Dus etc.) or a LOVE story (Dil Walay Dulhaniya Layjaayen Gay), or a SOCIAL film (Hello, Welcome etc.)! However that may be, but the only omnipresent component of all these flicks, is the FORMULA! One could discern the formula even in the songless movie "BLACK!" I fully agree that it is high time now that the FORMULA, based on the traditional Indian rural "MELA" theatre plays, should be banished from Bollywood movies. The cinema-going public should slowly but surely be weaned away from formula-based films and efforts should be made to re-develop their taste for films based on, for example, personalities and events of historic significance! When the FORMULA will rest in piece, the whole culture of the Sub-Continent will change and find a more modern, sound and stable footing!!!

communicative

Dear Pandit,"HELLO's" popularity may be based on the book as you said, But I feel that a better film could be made if the film-makers stuck to the original contents of the book while writing the screenplay. They could not get away from the melodramatic formula mindset, however! It is about time they do!

7. Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Well, Hello is definitely getting popularity because of the book on which it is based. Today I saw a guy who watched the film just for the sake of curiosity that how the novel he read is portrayed on silver screen. And he was almost disappointed from the movie.

Another thing which also helped HELLO is the timing when it was released, I guess was the only film released that Friday and hence too the advantage.

Also, even the writer of the Novel, Chetan Bhagat was there to help in script but still movie failed in quality.

Now lets go to Mr. Ivor's point. Well, I little disagree for totally dumping formula movies. I guess the thing is that our Cinema takes so much cinematic liberties and almost all the time they seems to be in some hurry and this makes movie indigestible and without senses. I strongly feel that main problem in Indian Cinema is lack of coordination among film makers.. lack of co-ordination between director and writer is just one example and list goes on. I can conclude this because most of the time errors or shortcoming in the movie is so easy to solve but it yet there.
    So, ultimately its about presentation, if you have good team and innovative team then even a 100 times told story can look outstanding.

communicative

Well the film industry in India as elsewhere is a commercial venture. And it is a fact that the CINEMATIC FORMULA sells! The only point is that our people are now much more educated than they were at the time of say Madhubala and Dilip Kumar! But sadly enough, the films of today, though technically more advanced, are similar as regards content! The important point is that films should now be made on a variety of topics and themes, to cater to the taste of the many teirs of society! Making of quality films on a variety of topics is more important than the amount of time it takes to make them! Thanks!

rock_amol
    rock_amol is offline eTI Iron

Good Title to the Film

+ Post a Comment HERE!