+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Arundhati Roy returns her National Award - Whats with this award returning ?

Advert.

asaam
    asaam is offline eTI Iron

Arundhati Roy returns her National Award - Whats with this award returning ?

Advert.
    As per huffington post :

Returning her National Award for Best Screenplay, which she won in 1989, Booker Prize winner Arundhati Roy said that she was "so proud" to join the writers, filmmakers and academics, who have returned their awards to protest against attacks on minorities, murder of rationalists, threats to free speech, enforcement of beef bans, and the vicious remarks bandied about by leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh.

Roy, the author of The God of Small Things, said that this "political movement" by artists and intellectuals "is unprecedented, and does not have a historical parallel." Her National Award was for the film - In Which Annie Gives it Those Ones.

"I am very pleased to have found (from somewhere way back in my past) a National Award that I can return, because it allows me to be a part of a political movement initiated by writers, filmmakers and academics in this country who have risen up against a kind of ideological viciousness and an assault on our collective IQ that will tear us apart and bury us very deep if we do not stand up to it now," Roy said, writing in The Indian Express.

asaam
    asaam is offline eTI Iron
    So what is with so many writers, she is well known personality and also an international figure. I don't think so many intellectual people could be wrong altogether.

+ Post a Comment HERE!