+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Using Hindi on internet in windows XP (Hindi typewriter layout) -Tutorial

Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Using Hindi on internet in windows XP (Hindi typewriter layout) -Tutorial

Advert.
    This article is will guide you that how you can use Hindi over internet as well as in your other application but also it will be compatible and viewable in any standard computer.
    With UTF-8 (8-bit UCS/Unicode Transformation Format) you can type text which is understood by almost all computers all over the world which use common standard of "Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)".
    In simple language, whatever you type will is most likely to display exactly same as you typed in any other computer.

This article is strictly for Windows XP users and it will enable them to use Hindi as they use English in their day to day work. I will only talk about "Hindi Typewriter layout" because I feel that phonetic / inscript typing is rather confusing and inacurate.

What is phonetic ?
    I know this question might be there though we do not need it at all as per my artical's concern but in simple word, phonetic is something : as it sounds means, phonetic or inscript keyboard layout works in phonetic way where if you type in English, it will try to type similar sounding words for you, ofcourse that create lots of mistakes hence I want people to move to right path from the start.

Now start,

First of all, we have to make sure that your windows support such operation ie. regional languages.
    To do so goto

Control Panel --> Regional & Language Options --> Languages
    There see if "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages(including Thai)" is enabled or selected or not. If it is not then select it. See the screenshot.

Now if you have just selected it then after pressing "Apply" it may ask you to insert windows installation CD so that it can copy new files to your computer and then may ask you to restart your computer.

Now when you have enabled that now we need to download a small piece of software which will allow us to use "Hindi Typewriter Layout" keymap through our current standard keyboard.
    Please download Hindi indice IME and install it in your computer.

After it is installed you again need to go to :

Control Panel --> Regional & Language Options --> Languages --> Details --> Add
    It will then ask you to choose "Input Language" & "Keyboard Layout / IME ". Select "Hindi" as Inpute language & "Hindi Indice IME 1" as keyboard layout. You can see same in Screenshot provided.

Now click Apply and you are almost done.

Next you will see "EN" appeared on your lower-right corner of your computer computer screen. There click on it and will show you two option, HINDI or ENGLISH, Select Hindi. See Screenshot

Now after selecting Hindi, you will have "HI" instead of "EN" there & will also see small dashboard having some options about selecting keyboard layout etc. So we will click on "Keyboard Icon" which appeared after we selected Hindi, then will select "Hindi Typewriter I (RBI)" as keyboard layout.
    See screenshot:

?? ??????? ?????? ???? ????? ????
    Make sure that "HI" is visible in lower-right cornor of your screen when typing anywhere in Hindi.

Using Hindi in Gmail:

Lastly..
    A very important thing:
    How you will find that where is a character on keyboard ?
    1. either get a keyboard with Hindi letter also printed on it
    or
    2. Use following keymap
    (NOTE: Its is Hindi typewriter layout only)

If you stucked anywhere then please ask over here, I will be glad to help you.
    ???? ?????? ?? ???? ?????????? ????? .

Note: There are few shortcomings in typing Hindi this way in browsers etc, eg. it creates problem for "Half letters" as well I am yet to find few important parts of Hindi like chandrabindu and poornaviram.

Disclaimer:
    I can not be held responsible for any mistake and error in this tutorial as well any damage due to use of any of the above specified method or software.

sathi
    sathi is offline eTI Member

Re: Using Hindi on internet in windows XP (Hindi typewriter layout) -Tutorial

Its really very good and informative..
    But I got strucked at first step only.. I dont have Windows Installation Cd... ??? :'(

So, I tried a new method.. I think I should share that with you all... May be it would also be of some help...

I installed a software name Baraha 7.0 from http://www.baraha.com/baraha60.htm

1. Run Baraha Direct (by going to Start > Programs > Baraha 7.0 > Baraha Direct)
    2. Baraha Direct icon will get created in the "system tray"
    3. Double click Baraha Direct icon. Baraha Direct's screen would come on your screen
    4. In this screen, set the Langauge as Hindi, Convert To as UNICODE and Convert English
    Text as "Yes"
    5. Now open a box on any webpage where you want to type in Hindi (e.g. your email
    compose page)
    9. Start typing and you would see that you are typing in Hindi
    10. Now if you want to type again in English -press "F11" key and you would be able to type in
    English. If you again want to type in Hindi -again press "F11" key. F11 key is used for
    toggling between Hindi and English languages

??? ?????? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ????...

Some More Tips:

Just Right click on the Icon of Baraha Direct in System Tray, then click on Help...
    Now click on Transliteration Rules in Contents.
    Click upon Devanagari transliteration rule.
    Here, you could find many suggestions on how to get maximum benefit from the software. You could also learn to use vowels, consonant, Quotation, Usage and Puncuation Marks etc. [also chandra bindu ? and bindu ( ?) ]

I Hope this would be of some help... :-\
    [img width=375 height=115]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/480/480800zsl927r1px.jpg[/img]

Ricky

Nice and thanks for sharing here but I think that one is using inscript typing layout i.e. phonetic ?
    Is it so ?

??? ????? ? ?? ???? ???? ??

sathi

Yeah... Right.. It is Phonetic...
    [img width=375 height=115]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/480/480800zsl927r1px.jpg[/img]

Ricky

Well, I oppose use of phonetic because it is not really having any standard way, means in one software, phonetic may behave different and in other, may be just opposite.

On the other hand, Hindi Typewriter layout can be helpful as it is universal, even then you can type on Hindi Keyboard.

I had too learnt first using phonetic Hindi layout but lateron realized that have to start all over because its not really worthy to give your effort on learning phonetic / inscript typing for Hindi.

sathi

Ricky... You are very right.. [u]And Your Method is the Actual Way of Typing Hindi or any other Language..

Still I dont have Windows Installation Cd... So, I have to go this way for the time being...
    But I will surely Adapt your method very soon...

7. Advert.

NRI
    NRI is offline eTI Iron

wow!! bina kisi installition ke nahi likhi jaa sakti hindi kya... mere laptop main hindi ka koi option nahi hai []

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative

Ricky

You follow instructions properly and then you should get it. Do it carefully.

Ricky

Those who are not having windows installation cd can try Firefox extension of Indic IME to use Hindi,

It can be downloaded from :
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2573/

Soniya
    Soniya is offline eTI Iron

naha ... nt intrested in any downloads!

Ricky

Its nothing like a software..
    Btw, if you are not interested in download then I don't think that computer will let you type in Hindi by its own

Ricky

???? ?? ??? ??? ??????? ????????? ????? ?? ???? ???? ?? ?? ?? ??????? ?? ??? ??, ???? ??????? ?? ???? ???????????? ?? ??

??????? ??? ???? ??? ??? ????? SHIFT KEY ?? ???? ??? ?? ?? ?? ????? ??? ?? ????????? ??? ?? ???? ? ?? ?????? ????? ???? ????? ????? ?? ???? ??

??? ??? ????? ???? ??? ?? ???? ? ??? ?? ????? ???? ???? ??? ?? ?????????? ????? ?? ??? |

??? ???? ??? ?? ?? ???? ???? ????????? ??? |

shini
    shini is offline Just in!

try using this site: www.quillpad.in
    its great.using this site u can conveniently do
    hindi language typing
    search using hindi keywords and it's applcation (lyrics search etc.)
    put a hindi search feature on ur own blog/website using

nupur.
    nupur. is offline eTI Copper

Is there any different software and any other way to type Hindi in Vista ??

Admin
    Admin is offline Administrator

Use google online "transliteration"
    You may want to read:

Thought of the Moment:
    A community is all about helping each other.

+ Post a Comment HERE!