+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

TIP: How to Play DIVX-XVID Movies on Windows Mobile 6-PPC free

Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

TIP: How to Play DIVX-XVID Movies on Windows Mobile 6-PPC free

Advert.
    • Xvid and Divx are two popular video format which allows you to have a DVD quality video on much smaller size. While Xvid is opensource and is available under GNU license which is direct competitor to DivX developed by DivX Inc.

So what if you own a Windows Mobile or PPC and want to watch your favourite movie while you are on the move? Though Windows Mobile comes with windows media player but I never tried to run a DivX or Xvid movie on it until recently and as expected, windows media player included was not able to run it. It gave error :

Object Not Found

The mPlayer for Windows Mobile / PPC

So went on my hunt to find a good divX player. Just to add here, I am long time fan of mPlayer which is a very good media player available for Linux platform but its port are available for Windows as well Windows Mobile / Pocket PC. Hence, I looked for it and found the windows mobile version of mPlayer, I installed it and it worked but its not really user friendly and its very minimalistic, though it can play most of the major formats and on PC, its always my preferred media player but on windows mobile I decided to look further.

Still if you want to install mplayer for windows mobile 5-6, you can download it from : HERE

Apart of playing all common formats including AVI, Xvid, DivX, WMV etc.. mPlayer for Windows Mobile Support all type of flash videos as well supports Streaming too.

But somewhere I heard that it is CPU intensive so I went to look for another options.

The DivX player from DivX Inc*

Though DivX player is proprietary and I thought it will play only DivX format but to my surprise it also played Xvid format (which is sort of GNU version of DivX). I double checked my movie sample and found it Xvid only. So I installed it and supports a lots of things.

From their site, it supports:
      • 10-Band Equalizer with Pre-Amp;
        PlayList Support;
        PlayList Editor;
        Web Streaming;
        Brightness Control (ARM devices only);
        File Association Support;
        Hardware Button Mapping;
        Shuffle Play;
        90 degree Rotate ;
        2:1 zoom;
        Bi-linear filtering for zoom mode;
        Dithering (ARM devices only);
        Fast Forward;
        Seek Bar;
        Volume Control;
        Custom File Open Dialog;
        Custom Web View Streaming File Selection Dialog;
        Keep Alive for device shutoff suspension;
        Play At File Open option;
        Definable Caching for performance/power utilization. Supported Audio/Video Formats: Video: Divx, OpenDivX, Avi, MPEG-1 w/ FFMPEG mpeg video decoder;
        Audio: MP3 and Layer I + II Audio w/ MAD MP3 decoder.

That is long list but I found that it is open source version DivX player for mobile hence is able to play Xvid too. Anyways, so it accounted for a player in your Windows Mobile.

You can download DivX player for Windows Mobile :HERE

Hence, if you are looking for good Xvid, DivX player for you windows mobile then I guess above information will be helpful to you. Just to add, DivX player was better in playing XviD on my windows mobile while mPlayer was little jerky on same video. Hence, here DivX player wins for me.

Note: You need to have Active Sync Installed in order to install above programs as well has little knowledge about transferring and installing programs on windows mobile from your desktop Pc.

The author is not associated with any of the above mentioned service or product. Author may or may not be using all or any of the above services or products. Above article / review / tip are just views of the author and they do not decide above mentioned service / product's characteristics as whole. The author do not take any responsibility for harm or damage done by any of the above tip / advice / review. Above material / article is provided for the informational purpose only and author can't be held responsible for its usability and authenticity. Reader's discretion is advised.

Stealing or Copying of this article / review / Tip without proper credit and link back to the article is illegal. You may use this article at your site by giving a link back to this article or by asking for permission from the author.

iqbabu
    iqbabu is offline Just in!

Re: TIP: How to Play DIVX-XVID Movies on Windows Mobile 6-PPC free

nice info.thanks

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Thank you iqbabu

jimchu65
    jimchu65 is offline Newbie

Thank you dude!

Rajesh Harish
    Rajesh Harish is offline eTI Member

Thanks for the info. I'll see if it works in my country.

+ Post a Comment HERE!