+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

TIP: How to Backup Seamonkey Emails, Profiles to Restore & Transfer

Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

TIP: How to Backup Seamonkey Emails, Profiles to Restore & Transfer

Advert.
    I am not sure how many Seamonkey Internet Suite users are there but I use it daily. Though my preferred internet browser is always Mozilla Firefox but I also keep Seamonkey for its addon applications which apart of Internet browser contains email & newsgroup client, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.

Hence apart of my main browsing I heavily rely on SeaMonkey for mails etc. And hence, time to time I need to backup seamonkey data and mail, though there are tools available to do backup like Mozback but I prefer to do things myself and keep them easy! Since backing up and restoring manually for Seamonkey is very easy, I am sharing it here.

How to Backup SeaMonkey Profiles & Emails

There are many ways to do it but I will share the easiest and fastest way to do it.
    • Compact your folders by
      Goto --> Files --> Compact Folders
    • Now open the location where the Profiles and Data are stored. .

For Windows XP, it is usually in : C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data

For Windows Vista, it can be found under: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming folder in Windows Vista
      Alternatively, you can type:
      %APPDATA% in RUN dialogue box to open that location directly. To access RUN dialogue box you can do [Windows Key] + [R]

For Linux , you can find it under : ~/.mozilla/
    • When you are able find the desired location of data then under Mozilla folder there, you will find "SeaMonkey" folder, it contains our all mail and required data. Just copy it at safe place and you are done! Your SeaMonkey Data.

So that Concludes Backup of Seamonkey Data, next is restore or transfer

How to Restore and Tranfer SeaMonkey Profiles & Emails

• Now restoring or transferring that data to new location is as easy as copying a folder. All we need an installation of SeaMonkey, it can be fresh installation where you want to transfer data or your existing installation where you need to restore!
    • Again locate the SeaMonkey Profiles and Data folder on new installation of SeaMonkey and now we need to copy over our backup. For that, look for the steps to locate the "Profiles & Data" location which previously mentioned.
    • Now inside the folder you previously backup, look inside it, you will find xxxxxxx.default (for SeaMonkey 2) and xxxxxx.slt (For SeaMonkey 1.x).
    • For SeaMonkey 2: Copy the contents of the xxxxxxxx.default folder and place them inside the new <profilename> folder.
      For SeaMonkey 1.x: Copy the contents of the default xxxxxxxx.slt folder and place them inside the new <profilename> xxxxxxxx.slt folder
      (Make Sure SeaMonkey is completely Closed)
    • You are done. Open your SeaMonkey and you can see your all mails and data available under new profile.
      (You will find one folder for each profile so you can copy whatever profile you want.)

That concludes now! If there is any suggestion to improve it or this helped you then please stop by and give your valuable comments.

The author is not associated with any of the above mentioned service or product. Author may or may not be using all or any of the above services or products. Above article / review / tip are just views of the author and they do not decide above mentioned service / product's characteristics as whole. The author do not take any responsibility for harm or damage done by any of the above tip / advice / review. Above material / article is provided for the informational purpose only and author can't be held responsible for its usability and authenticity. Reader's discretion is advised.

Stealing or Copying of this article / review / Tip without proper credit and link back to the article is illegal. You may use this article at your site by giving a link back to this article or by asking for permission from the author.

nupur.
    nupur. is offline eTI Copper

Re: TIP: How to Backup Seamonkey Emails, Profiles to Restore & Transfer

wow. thats realy cool ...
    But I m not able to open the link.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Hmm.. I am still working on this TIP, that is not link, that is actually a Heading!

jimchu65
    jimchu65 is offline Newbie

I never knew that you can do something like this in seamonkey. thank you so much!

+ Post a Comment HERE!