+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Why Bangalore city changed its name to Bengaluru

Advert.

NIDHI JAIN Guest

Why Bangalore city changed its name to Bengaluru

Advert.
    Hi there! I was wondering if you could shed some light on the reasoning behind the name change from Bangalore to Bengaluru in 2006.
    Additionally, I'm curious to know what were the main factors that played a role in making this decision.

supriya jain
    supriya jain is offline eTI Member

Bangalore city changed its name to Bengaluru

Hi Nidhi, in 2006, the city of Bangalore changed its name to Bengaluru Through my research I found that there are several reasons behind its name changing .

First, they wanted to go back to the city's original name from the 9th century, "Bengaluru," which means "boiled bean place" in Kannada. This was the language spoken in the Karnataka state, where Bengaluru is the capital.

Second, the change aimed to support Kannada language and culture, which is significant in Karnataka. They hoped that using the name Bengaluru would help preserve the local language and heritage.

Another reason was to avoid confusion with other cities called Bangalore in different parts of the world. There was a city in Australia and a suburb of Chicago with the same name. Changing to Bengaluru was meant to make the city more unique.

Even though some people didn't agree with the change, it happened in 2006. The government managed the process through a committee, updating signs and official documents. They also ran a campaign to let people know about the new name.

Now, both officially and casually, people refer to the city as Bengaluru. The change has been successful in supporting the local language and culture and making the city stand out.

+ Post a Comment HERE!