+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

What is michhami dukkadam ?

Advert.

Sawaal
    Sawaal is offline eTI Member

What is michhami dukkadam ?

Advert.
    I want to know about michhami dukkadam .

What is it ? where it origin ?

jigs
    jigs is offline eTI Iron

Re: What is michhami dukkadam ?

it is in Jain

Michchhami means to be fruitless (forgiven) and Dukkadam (Dushkrut)means bad deeds. Therefore the meaning of Michchhami Dukkadam is my bad deeds (with you) be fruitless. So concept behind saying or writing someone "Michchhami Dukkadam" is that if I have done any harm to you, then those bad deeds to be forgiven (be fruitless).

Those who are born in Jain families are familiar with the meaning and theme behind it. I have tried to expand its meaning and the scope which would make it more meaningful.

"I forgive (from the bottom of my heart without any reservation) all living beings (who may have caused me any pain and suffering either in this life or previous lives), and I beg (again from the bottom of my heart without any reservation) for the forgiveness from all living beings (no matter how small or big to whom I may have caused pain and suffering in this life or previous lives, knowingly or unknowingly, mentally, verbally or physically, or if I have asked or encouraged someone else to carry out such activities). (Let all creatures know that) I have a friendship with everybody and I have no revenge (animosity or enmity) toward anybody."

Why do we say "Michchhami Dukkadam"?

If we reflect back on ourselves we would realize that our mind is continuously busy either thinking on something which may be near to us or could even be as far away as the other end of the world, talking or doing physical activities. This thinking, our words or our physical activities would be reflection of our happiness, sorrow, anger, greed, jealousy, and egoism, etc. And, depending upon how we react to those, we attract various types of new karmas to our souls. No prudent person would like to attract bad karma and at certain stages any karma at all. It is not as easy as turning off a light switch but we have a choice to minimize our damage so that things would be more conducive for our social and spiritual uplift which should ultimately lead to salvation or liberation from this worldly life of any kind.

While we are in mood to be a better person we can do a little more contemplation and it would put on a different path. So I am taking an opportunity to add a few more words which should go along with friendship. Those contemplation including freidship are:

1) Maitri Bhavana (Thinking of being a Friend)

2) Pramod Bhavana (Thinking of Appreciation)

3) Karuna Bhavana (Thinking of Compassion)

4) Madhyastha Bhavana (Think to staying neutral or uninvolved)

Let us understand how these bhavanas play important roles in our lives, how they can keep us away from bad karmas, and ultimately how they can improve our overall chances to uplift our souls.

1. Maitri Bhavana (Thinking of a Friendship)

"We must be a friend to all living beings." The feeling of friendship brings love and respect for others. It, also, initiates a feeling of brotherhood among all and in turn leaves no room for harm, deceit or quarrelsomeness with anybody. If we contemplate on Maitri Bhavana our thoughts, words, and actions will not be harsh, and we will not hurt anybody. On the contrary, we will support and protect everybody. Friendship will lead us to be tolerant, forgiving, and caring for one another. Therefore by developing a friendship with all living beings, we will avoid bad karma.

2. Pramod Bhavana (Thinking of Appreciation)

In this bhavana, we admire the success of our friends, spiritual leaders. One of the most destructive forces in our lives is jealousy. However, friendship combined by admiration, destroys jealousy . As jealousy subsides, negative impulses are turned into positive ones, and in time, you will be at peace.

3. Karuna Bhavana (Thinking of Compassion)

Instead of succeeding, many of our friends may be getting into trouble for things they should not be doing, and even those who are successful may be accumulating vices such as greed and ego. If such is the case then, they are not on the right path, and may they are weak, helpless, and in distress. At a time like this, you should contemplate on the karuna Bhavana and show compassion towards them instead of being disgusted towards them or hating them. Show them a right path with patience, tolerance, and forgiveness and offer them the needed support. In this way, not only will you be avoiding bad karma, but so will your friends.

4. Madhyastha Bhavana (Think of staying neutral or uninvolved)

Life appears to be nothing but involvement. Sometimes life works out favourable and sometimes it does not. So when the things dont workout, instead of getting disappointed, angry, or more involved, you should contemplate on Madhyastha Bhavana which leads to feeling that I did my best to resolve the situation. If someone does not want to understand, then leave him/her alone without getting further involved. You should simply hope that one of these days, he/she may understand and change. By observing Madhyastha Bhavana, you will remain in equanimity, instead of provoking turmoil in your mind. When your mind stays neutral and uninvolved it keeps karma away.

If there is a goal, then there will be an achievement.

"Michchhami Dukkadam"

Sawaal
    Sawaal is offline eTI Member

Re: What is michhami dukkadam ?

Thank you Jigs

+ Post a Comment HERE!