+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Occupation for older lady with "sitting disability"

Advert.

USLady4Indians
    USLady4Indians is offline Just in!

Occupation for older lady with "sitting disability"

Advert.
    I'm a 56 year old female who probably needs a new job skill. According to everything I've heard, gone are the days when an employer would train an employee who had only high school. After almost 20 years of being in a severe mental depression I now find myself able to work again. Now that the depression is no longer "crippling" I have strict sitting limits. IF I can sit all day, and I do mean IF, I may need to use my own chair and possibly even lie down in a recliner with a workstation! I live in USA and someone from the federal disability accommodation office told me I WILL be discriminated against by employers.

I am being supported by family and if I don't get an income soon, I may have to go into a marriage unemployed. It's a long story but I may be able to get a pension and social security income -- eventually. This hope keeps me going. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what kind of training I can get that does not require a degree and will allow me to often get up and down from a chair or recliner at work. (We all should avoid sitting for hours on end to practice good back care). I hope no one will say I'm too old because that would simply be another example of discrimination. I'm taken for much younger than my age and most likely I have many good years ahead.

I am looking for a job skill that provides a regular income (not strictly commission or "piece work") and benefits, especially sick days and health coverage. No traveling sales, as I cannot sit back for a long time but must get up and down when I feel the need and must sit forward some of the time.

Matisse808 Guest

Re: Occupation for older lady with "sitting disability"

Consider getting the training to become a medical laboratory technician/assistant technician. In Canada, the training only takes a year and about half of that is apprenticing at the hospital or laboratory. They do a lot of up and down between doing the blood draws and entering stuff in the computer. I was going to do this, but I cannot tolerate sitting long enough to endure the actual classes.
    Good luck!
    - a friend in Victoria

+ Post a Comment HERE!