+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TIP:How to automatically shutdown your Windows computer:Scheduled Shutdown

Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

TIP:How to automatically shutdown your Windows computer:Scheduled Shutdown

Advert.

Sometimes you need to shutdown your Computer when you are away from it. Then how you do it ? Well, either remain with PC or use some sort of technique to shut it down automatically. However there are several utilities available which you can use to automatic shutdown your PC but here I am going to share a small trick which will make it easy shutdown automatically and that too without using any external software or utility.

We will use Window's inbuilt Task Scheduler.
    Usually you can find it under :
    Start >> Program >> Accessories >> SystemTools >> Scheduled Tasks

So how do we shutdown our computer at specified time? Well, for me many times I goto bed and forgets to turn off computer. So I have set my computer to shutdown at 2:00 am because even if I am going to work late, I avoid working after 2:00 am though I always want to set 12:00 am as deadline .. So 2:00 am is what when I need my computer to get turned off.

We are now going to do it stepwise :
    Start Task Scheduler by :
    Step 1
    Start >> Program >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Scheduled Tasks

Step 2
    Click File >> New >> Sheduled Task

Now give whatever name you want to give to your schedule task, I gave "Shutdown at 2 am".

Step 3

Now "Double Click" or "right click" on newly created scheduled task and goto its "Properties". It will then show new window.
    It has three TABs. Look for "TASK" tab which is the first one.

On TASK tab, we have to provide following details under fields:
    In Run field:
    Code:
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 50
    In Start in field:
    Code:
    E:\WINDOWS\system32

Step 4

Now Schedule tab, we have to set the time and frequency.
    Set daily under Scheduled Tasks and set 2:00 Am under Start Time.

Press OK and All done !
    Now whenever it is 2:00 am and computer is running, it will show a small window telling you that in 50 seconds computer will shutdown, you may save if any existing work is there. Btw, you can change 50 seconds to whatever you want by changing:
    Code:
    E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 50
    to 30 or 10 whatever second in step there.

So that was a small Tutorial which called TIP on eTI. If you enjoyed it then consider leaving some comments.

Thankyou!

Author : Ricky.

The author is not associated with any of the above mentioned service or product. Author may or may not be using all or any of the above service or products. The author do not take any responsibility for harm or damage done by any of the above tip / advice. Above material / article is provided for the informational purpose and author do not take any responsibility of its authenticity.

kammy
    kammy is offline eTI Copper

Re: TIP:How to automatically shutdown your Windows computer:Scheduled Shutdown

nice tip but when we shut it down like that at startup an error appears that windows was shut down improperly.
    kamal

Ricky

I use it almost daily, here I don't see that error. May be someone else try and let me know if similar happens.

haiguangchu
    haiguangchu is offline Just in!

Hi Ricky,

Thank you so much for the tip. My son could not paly his game after 10PM now!! But he wants to have 180 seconds instead of 50 seconds warning before the computer shutdown. Can I change 50 to 180 in the code in Step 4?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Ricky

I am glad to know that you used it this way
    Yes, you can change it whatever number of seconds you want!

I am thinking to make a post saying "How to Stop children to play game late night"

Also, you are welcome at eTI !

haiguangchu
    haiguangchu is offline Just in!

Ricky,

Thank you for your prompt response and wish to see you new tip soon.

7. Advert.

Sbs
    Sbs is offline eTI Member

But it generates an error in Vista...may be I should take my time doing it....any suggestions pl?

Ricky

What error you received ?

kammy

i think error may be because all the applications must be closed before shutting down the system and by this method it may be possible that all the applications are not closed and which causes an error.
    kamal

Sbs
    Sbs is offline eTI Member

You are right , Kammy - some applications were there that needed to be closed....
    Thank you

Ricky

yes, even though the command include FORCE shutdown but some application who need data to be saved before closing may not get closed.

Though I use this feature daily.

kammy

yup all the data is saved so no problem in using it i think there should be some delay added.
    kamal

zumwani
    zumwani is offline Just in!

when i try to save the task it only says im not autorhised to do that but im admin

Ricky

Which windows it is ?

XP or Vista ?

Also, does it shows your USERNAME in field:
    RUN AS ... !

zumwani
    zumwani is offline Just in!

im using xp and my username stands in run as
    but i think i solved that im not authrised i think i needed an password but now im getting another problem, when it should shutdown it only shows an window for an half sec and then nothing happends

and i tried a couple of programs that should shutsdown computer but they wont work either

edit
    its working now, i must have done something wrong before

+ Post a Comment HERE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast