+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

image restore failed for Win XP Pro from Malcrium Reflect free edition

Advert.

claudeyu
    claudeyu is offline Just in!

image restore failed for Win XP Pro from Malcrium Reflect free edition

Advert.
    I experienced with unable to do restore action when trying to restore a saved image from a USB drive.
    It was saved perfectly well with a xml file indicating no problem.
    Recently i had problem with windows start-up blue screen, the Chkdsk command returned unrecoverable error.
    Then I used my rescue CD in Linux mode, started up and run it. Following simple manually driven tasks and locate where the backup image was and showed the process where restore location went, but when i
    click 'finish' to let restore proceeded, the process % bar didn't start and stayed at 0% without
    moving for very long. I manually stopped the restore action. Reverted my restore action to reinstalling Windows
    and everything all over again in a painful way. I used the free download a new version of Macrium Reflect within this year 2013.
    Please kindly advise what i should do. I am having a bad confidence with MR software now.

Claude YU
    email: [email protected]

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver
    Thats bad , I have used Macrium and worked very nice for me. I suspect something happened while saving on USB drive. If you have access to another computer, you may try to attach your hdd to that one and try to write image afresh as I mentioned in tutorial I wrote about using Macrium Reflect - disk image and restore. I suspect it has something with file system issue though not sure.

claudeyu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Thats bad , I have used Macrium and worked very nice for me. I suspect something happened while saving on USB drive. If you have access to another computer, you may try to attach your hdd to that one and try to write image afresh as I mentioned in tutorial I wrote about using Macrium Reflect - disk image and restore. I suspect it has something with file system issue though not sure.

Thanks for your reply.
    I am afraid if i used the backup image to restore on another computer, it will fail that computer.
    Therefore i just avoid repeating that. Reason is that after having attempted to restore the backup
    image to the original computer from where the backup was made, restoration failed as mentioned.
    Then when i restarted that computer that failed restore process, there was an error message returned saying Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt. So i just wondered if the missing was due to the restore action. Therefore i don't want to risk restoring the same image to another computer. And i don't know now
    if that hal.dll error was due to booting up with external USB drive attached to the computer. And whether
    the ext USB HDD attached or not at that moment i forgot too!
    Another clue i suspect failing the restoration, but this is only my suspection not 100% sure.
    It was when Macrium Reflect rescue CD brought up, it detected backup image have several partitions such as
    Dell restore partition, FAT patition, C: active, and D primary. (it was a Dell Dimenions Desktop.) Note: what i had done was only to restore the C: active partition and when prompted if MBR from the backyp to replace existing MBR i said 'Yes'. Other partitions were excluded because i would have thought the unrecoverable error was due only to C: drive where Windows and MBR were. It failed the action without processing staying at 0% very long. Would this because of not restoring the entire partitions? I personally think not. Please advise what you think about the clue i found.
    Thanks.

Claude Yu

claudeyu
    Thanks Ricky,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am afraid if i used the backup image to restore on another computer, it will fail that computer.
    Therefore i just avoid repeating that. Reason is that after having attempted to restore the backup
    image to the original computer from where the backup was made, restoration failed as mentioned.
    Then when i restarted that computer that failed restore process, there was an error message returned saying Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt. So i just wondered if the missing was due to the restore action. Therefore i don't want to risk restoring the same image to another computer. And i don't know now
    if that hal.dll error was due to booting up with external USB drive attached to the computer. And whether
    Another clue i suspect failing the restoration, but this is only my suspection not 100% sure.
    It was when Macrium Reflect rescue CD brought up, it detected backup image have several partitions such as
    Dell restore partition, FAT patition, C: active, and D primary. (it was a Dell Dimenions Desktop.) Note: what i had done was only to restore the C: active partition and when prompted if MBR from the backyp to replace existing MBR i said 'Yes'. Other partitions were excluded because i would have thought the unrecoverable error was due only to C: drive where Windows and MBR were. It failed the action without processing staying at 0% very long. Would this because of not restoring the entire partitions? I personally think not. Please advise what you think about the clue i found.
    Thanks.

Claude Yu

claudeyu
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks.

+ Post a Comment HERE!