+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

My kenyan Safari - Makarand Subhedar

Advert.

makrand22
    makrand22 is offline Newbie

My kenyan Safari - Makarand Subhedar

Advert.
    I moved to Kenya somewhere in August 2002. I was the Engineer In-charge in one of the major shipyards in Mombasa, Kenya. My decision to take up this job in a “place” like Kenya did raise a lot of eye brows within my fraternity. I kept getting sarcastic “All the best” during my tenure when they learnt about my, would be venture. Neither did I exactly know what is going to be my fate on this safari of mine.
    I landed at the Nairobi airport somewhere mid morning, the morning cold breeze sweeping through. Nairobi they say is cold for 12 months a year, I wondered if the warmth in people too had been eroded by this cold. For the first time I saw the local African beings. Never at their first sight could I imagine any kind of characteristics that were visible. I was on a high vigil as stories told while traveling always kept coming to my mind; I was then swayed through the rush of people to the Domestic terminal where I would board my flight to Mombasa.
    Mombasa, the commercial capital of Kenya, and the entry and exit point of goods from the world over to the interior of Africa. The natural harbor made it possible for ships to come in the port from various parts of the world. The only other port which did not come even close to in terms of revenue collection to the Mombasa port was Dar-es-salam in Tanzania, but due to the available water draft, Mombasa could harbor in bigger ships. What caught my attention was the difference in temperature between Nairobi and Mombasa, 45 minutes ago I was shivering in the cold and now here I am sweating my guts off while loading my baggage in the back of Salim’s car. Salim, a stout, small, curly haired dressed in faded jeans and T was waiting at the exit with the placard surprisingly with my name spelt correctly. Blazing he’s ever naughty smile nodded to me as he saw me approaching towards him. With a gentle yet robust handshake we moved on. A 35 min drive from the airport to my destination awakened me if I had made the right choice to come to Africa.
    I lived for 5 years in Mombasa, traveling around Tanzania, Zanibar and Kenya. I spent most of those 5 years working in Mombasa, a place known as a tourist hotspot for its beach resorts. The sand at the beaches are white unlike in India, and if you want to spend some great amount of time at the beach got to make sure you cover your eyes with sun glasses or else the harmful sun rays could really do the damage to your eyes. Nothing like a chilled bottle of Tusker beer at the beach, I have indeed tasted some of the best beers and this one comes up right there at the top in terms of taste. All beer lovers know that a beer is all about the taste.
    Most people imagine that the local African people could be violent or harsh but with my experience living there I can comfortably conclude that these people are most humble and ever inviting. As long as you don’t have any foul interest they don’t mind your existence. Every Kenyan is well aware of the political happening in their country; a political debate over a chilled beer is always on the cards at nearby tables.

kammy
    kammy is offline eTI Copper

Re: My kenyan Safari - Makarand Subhedar

Hey that was a good experience of life.
    i am glad u shared it with us.I'll definitely make a visit to Kenya whenever i get a chance.
    kamal

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Re: My kenyan Safari - Makarand Subhedar

Very nice to read. Moreover explained in just righteous .Looks like you have good skill to pen down.

+ Post a Comment HERE!