+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Can't use Gmail POP mail Thunderbird mail client-saying Less secure app

Advert.

pravin_01 Guest

Exclamation Can't use Gmail POP mail Thunderbird mail client-saying Less secure app

Advert.
    Hi,
    I have Thunderbird mail client, running many gmail account and few other mail provider. Everything is working good from long time but recently one of my account with gmail won't work with Thunderbird mail client. Mozilla thunderbird gives me error that "password sending failed" , weblogin is required. And when I login to Gmail webmail, it all works good.

I tried changing password but I think its not about password but some other issue. Because I saw this mail :

Code:
    	Review blocked sign-in attempt	

Hi Praveen Ranjan,

Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account pra*****@gmail.com from an app that may put your account at risk.
    	Less secure app
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:17 PM (India Time)
    Uttar Pradesh, India*
    Don't recognize this activity?

If you didn't recently receive an error while trying to access a Google service, like Gmail, from a non-Google application, someone may have your password.

SECURE YOUR ACCOUNT

Are you the one who tried signing in?
    Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app you're using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.
    So, what could be problem, is it now Thunderbird is less secure , should I stop using Thunderbird or I can't access Gmail anymore with TB mail client ?

Aarish Rizvi
    Aarish Rizvi is offline eTI Bronze
    It has nothing to do with you Thunderbird or your password, its Google, see last line where it says : "You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable", probably its treating Thunderbird as less secure app. If you are accessing your mail over SSL/TLS then its all fine. Just enable access to less secure apps from Google mail and it should work.

As per discussion here on Mozilla support site:

Google/Gmail calls apps that don't support OAuth2 "less secure". But, that doesn't make them insecure. So what it means is Gmail's meaning of LessSecureApp is basically anything that doesn’t use OAuth2.

When you initially logon with OAuth2, you will be redirect to Google’s sign-in page,. Once you have signed in, Google issues you a special OAuth2 token which is saved in Thunderbird and can be seen in the same place as passwords. So when you next logon to gmail, it is using that unique OAuth ID instead of password.

OAUTH2 is not used with POP mail accounts. If you use IMAP then you can choose to use it.

So in nutshell, you are good to go.

+ Post a Comment HERE!