Speaking at the Values Voters Summit in Washington Friday, the former Miss California Carrie Prejean suggested that “God had a plan for me that day” when she voiced her opinion on gay marriage ... during the 2009 Miss USA contest.

Yes. God told her to voice opposition to same sex marriage, at a beauty pageant, on national television. He works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Carrie Prejean asked during the contest by judge and openly gay celebrity gossip blogger Perez Hilton if she supports gay marriage. She does not.

Her answer ultimately led to so much controversy that people forget she did not actually win Miss USA (she was second to Kristen Dalton of N.C.).

Reflecting on Friday, Prejean, who was later stripped of her title of Miss California USA because God told her to she flaked on her contract, said “I’m so proud of the answer that I gave. God chose me for that moment.”

“I was a woman who stood up for the truth and people don’t want to admit it,” she continued. “I had the courage and bravery that a lot of people don’t have.”

“I am not defeated, they have not defeated me. They can say whatever they want about me and my faith,” Carrie Prejean said in praise of herself. “I always wanted to leave a legacy of courage and boldness and to show that to young people.”

The 22-year-old went on to thank her “thousands of fans who believe in me, and saw me as more than a beauty pageant girl.” Yes, so much more than that.

At the Miss USA pageant, Prejean told Hilton, “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. I think that in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.”

“No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."