The actor may be playing coy, considering his relationship with Kristen Stewart, but that's what he told The Sydney Morning Herald this week when asked how he remains grounded in the face of overwhelming fame.

"I just don't take any of it seriously. It's just a job and while it's a job I love, girls scream out for Edward, not Robert. I still can't get a date," he said.

During the interview, the newspaper reported Pattinson seemed calmer than usual, perhaps because there's little pressure on him when it comes to New Moon.

"I'm not the lead in the second film. Taylor [Lautner] is. I appear in Bella's dreams. So I'm in it but the focus is not on me. I just have significant moments at the beginning... and the end. I'm more of a supporting role in this one, which is why I felt so free. I didn't have to deal with any of the bullsh-t of the first one... I think I did it better without all those pressures."

As much as he loves portraying Edward Cullen, Pattinson is setting up a career path that will help him about being type cast.

"I'm lining up so many different films so it'll be harder to just label me the vampire guy," he said, including Remember Me and Unbound Captives (a western set in 1859) on a list of future projects.

There is one thing the actor regrets.

He wishes he had never taken part in the Twilight soundtrack, saying:

"It looked like I was trying to be cool or something, like Eminem. You know, be in a movie and then do a song for the soundtrack. But I didn't look cool, I just looked ridiculous."

Chain smoking throughout the interview, Pattinson said he can't ever fully relax.

"I don't really need to do stuff to relax or get away because all my interests are part of my job. Like I'll watch movies to be inspired to do other movies. I read books to be inspired. I listen to music to be inspired to write music. Everything I do is to create something."

So far, he's created a rabid fanbase that cannot wait for New Moon to premiere on November 20.