+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blank screen on laptop on booting

Advert.

rohitjain
    rohitjain is offline Newbie

blank screen on laptop on booting

Advert.
    Problem Description: A black screen came suddenly while i was working on laptop and No display is seen after turning on the Notebook.Only blank screen with very low blue light appears on the screen. System seems to process .

previous troubleshooting steps:
    1. I had a chat session with with online technician and and he advised to remove battery and AC power and pressing power button on laptop. but it did not work.

2. I went to HP authorized service center , progressive pvt. ltd. ,Bhopal , India. They diagnosed the laptop at INR 562 by checking each component on opening laptop parts and reassembled each parts. after diagnosing they referred it to be motherboard problem.

3. Then they tried once more to solve the problem. this time they inserted a bootable flashdrive in notebook and then they turned on the notebook. after 2 or more such attempts laptop started to work as before. screen was displaying BIOS and then windows vista booted normally.

4. But after 1-2 hours, display went off again leaving totally black screen ,while i was working on notebook.

5. I went to service center again and they did the same thing using flashdrive . they called this process as " running UTILITY". but again after some time display went off(totally black screen).

5. then they ran UTILITY again and performed the system recovery on my request.

6. and again display went off suddenly while running notebook.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Re: blank screen on laptop on booting

When you try to reboot, do you see BIOS or nothing at all ?

rohitjain

nothing at all

Bhvm
    Bhvm is offline eTI Aluminium

Seems like the fragile Ribbon cable (the very thin hair-like cable that connects LCD to Motherboard) has developed cracks/breakage/ Loose contact .

replace the cable and try, Its cheap.

rohitjain

thank u sir

plz can u tell me about the UTILITY .

HP authorised service centre in bhopal make my computer to run(atleast for some time say 1 hr) by driving a bootable pendrive in laptop and then he tuns power on button and he taps windows button + B button.

he referred to it as driving UTILITY on laptop which shall reset charges on mother board

Bhvm

Ahh,,, that utility thing...

In one word rohit...its crap.

Its a program that scans bios for any error codes... and points out if such errors are encounters. Mostly...the commonsense is much saner and faster than that utility.
    Sadly, Commonsense is not much 'common' among the HP service men.

Those fools had to run the 'utility' to check health of my DV9000 lappy battery even when it was obviously overheating and smoking.
    Hp's crap.

7. Advert.

rohitjain

Thanks sir for your reply

I will replace fragile chord as mentioned by u. It shall be done on some shop under the supervision of my brother as he has been in computers dealership for long time.

why does UTILITY make my computer to run for some period.
    can i make that utility pendrive so that it will help my brother to solve the problem, because it is making my notebook to work for some time.

external monitor also do not show any display when connected to laptop.

also i want to tell u that,

my notebook is also dv9000 model. exact model is "HP pavilion dv9700t notebook". this notebook was purchased at USA and it is out of warranty. also its warranty will not be covered in India if i extends the warranty.

hp technician on online chat told me that parts of my laptop will not be available in India and i should ship the laptop to my relative in USA so that they can pick it up for service. according to them this is the only way to resolve issue with my laptop. and for expected mother board replacement ,it will cost $398 + tax.

HP centre at bhopal ( progressive pvt. ltd.) were asking me to replace my mother board at INR 7000 . they can not get original mother board here so they will replace with some other compatible mother board.

Bhvm

INR 7000 for HP DV9000 motherboard sounds nasty.

DV9000 is a high end lap, and with a 'compatible' motherboard, you may loose some multimedia functions.

If the display did'nt come up on external TFT, there seems another problem, like the GPU.

Which GPU you have? i have Nvidia 7 series 512MB.

HP DV9000 is plagued by poor quality and build issues. Poor me.
    I lost the battery in 6 months (not covered by warranty), DVD drive conked out. Now the central fan is giving up.,... oh.

Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Bhvm
    HP DV9000 is plagued by poor quality and build issues. Poor me.
    I lost the battery in 6 months (not covered by warranty), DVD drive conked out. Now the central fan is giving up.,... oh.
    Man, you really bought a crap. Without central fan, you may see other problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitjain
    nothing at all
    Looks like hardware problem, but after their utility, your display restores and that is strange. May be some issue with with BIOS and GPU compatibility, usually Laptop bios has nothing to tweak or change, if you can restore your bios to default i.e factory settings then try that.

Also, I think your laptop have developed moisture, if you can do then using a hair dryer, open your laptop and moderately heat GPU chip other areas of your lappy. Make sure not to over heat. It may sound little illogical but recently I gave life to a GPU this way and made a dead RAM stick working this way

Infact, once I restored a dead computer similarly otherwise had to buy new board for that computer.

Bhvm

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky
    Man, you really bought a crap. Without central fan, you may see other problems too.
    Brought? or was sold?

Worry not, being a frantic modder, i've made a USB Powered fan for it. The temp stays at 38.C now.

Bhvm

Hey rohit@!

get a live linux CD like Knoppix and boot off it.
    Tell me if that works correctly.

http://www.knoppix.org/

Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Bhvm
    Hey rohit@!

get a live linux CD like Knoppix and boot off it.
    Tell me if that works correctly.

http://www.knoppix.org/
    Good Idea.. +1

rohitjain

Thanks for replies

i have not been watching replies since my EXAMs are going on.

i am about to download KNOPPIX image and will run it on my laptop.

also i want to inform u that i have tried to boot system from UBUNTU linux DVD but it did not help. my system used to boot by the same DVD earlier.

my system is showing nothing on booting not even BIOS , and how shall it boot by another linux OS.

my graphics card is NVIDIA 8600 ,512 MB , please tell me in detail about how to proceed to troubleshoot in hardware.

can anyone tell me about , how to make utility.

rohitjain

i am downloading from http://lame.lut.fi/linux/Knoppix/KNO...9-02-08-EN.iso.

Is this iso file sufficient

In CD-DVD, do i have to just burn the image. or some thing more needs to be done.

how to use this file by pendrive

kammy
    kammy is offline eTI Copper

why don't you give a try to windows7.
    buddy its already popular you know today i got news updates on my mobile that around 50,000 pirated windows7 copies are already sold in UP.and its not even 15 days to it's released DATE october22.
    kamal

+ Post a Comment HERE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast