What can you find common about the following dignitaries :

Sabeer Bhatia, G.K.Noon, Manoj Night Shyamalan, Gurinder Chadha, Swaraj Paul, Lakshmi Mittal, Dr. Srinivas Kulkarni, Kalpana Chawla, Kesh Bakhru and Vinod Dham?

As many of you will be able to guess, yes, these are some of the most successful Indians residing abroad. Undoubtedly, they have done their motherland proud and have made many to look upon them as their heros.

But, as I look at this list, one fact causes a lot of discomfort to me! Why is it that success found them when their motherland lost them? Has it never occurred to either of them to get back to their roots? Doesn’t a place one is born at, deserves more?

Maybe I am being emotional and not very practical but this fact certainly eludes me. Indian education system is counted amongst the best in the world. The land of Aryabhatta has given many intelligent minds to the world. The Indian system of education follows a smooth hierarchy from basics to perfection. The school drop outs in India are very less as compared to other parts of the world. As a result, the average educated Indian is quite an “employable” entity across the world.
After completing their education in India, people often leave for foreign countries in search of better working environment and pay package on account of unemployment. Unemployment in India has been an overused excuse by the one's who are responsible for such brain drain and also by the ones who are desperately trying to contribute to the same. The opportunities inside the country suddenly seem small and worthless in front of the starry image of the west. More than anything else, better lifestyle and a developed country name to flaunt, has lead people into migrating their working areas from their native place to a western country. But the question remains is it really so starry as it seems? Are there seriously no "good" job opportunities in India? Well, had this question come a decade earlier the answer would have been a tragic yes, but today when many multi national companies are desperately trying to establish a branch in India, the verity differs!
Why is it that even today, 70% of the junta qualifying IIT or IIM-CAT, only has an objective of foreign placement? Why is it that once you are settled abroad, everything that is native loses its charm and you become slave to materialistic life of the west?
If our excuse to settle abroad is to attain a better lifestyle, then why not be enterprising enough to try and bring about a change here? Why not make your homeland, your very own dreamland?