+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

India's $100 PC launched. MTNL's effort ! What a joke !

Advert.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

India's $100 PC launched. MTNL's effort ! What a joke !

Advert.
    Here is the News:

Well, for one, it does not have a hard disk or any other built in storage device. Instead, the terminal is connected to a centralised server with MTNL, who'll also provide internet services as well as server space to store your data. According to MTNL, it's a win-win proposition.

"MTNL has no investment in this project. With this our broadband connection will increase, customers will get high speed internet and the company who has put the server will also benefit. So it is a win-win-win situation for all,” said Executive Director MTNL, A K Arora.

But even at Rs 5000 is this PC really worth it? The plan offered by MTNL at present offers 30 hours of free browsing and 300MB of server storage for Rs 399 per month.

There is Rs 10 charge for every additional internet browsing hour.
    But more importantly you need to shell out Rs 50 for every 100MB of additional storage space.

In other words to get a basic pen drive storage space of 1GB, you need to spend Rs 749 + taxes every month.

But this does not mean that the device will not find takers. Especially among those who just use their computer for sending and receiving emails.

And if the price of storage space too comes down, this machine may just make the PC popular even in rural India.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Re: India's Rs. 5000 PC launched. MTNL's effort ! What a joke !

Now what a it is ?

You need to load all application from MTNL's server and that is too over their old age telephone lines ? This is going to be a real pain.
    They are going to use terminal server but I don't think this service is viable at all. I feel that first 10 minutes will get eaten up in booting the computer ie. loading the OS files from server (I guess it will take even more), so if you are going to run it daily 1 hour then will use your 5 hours only in loading the application ?

A real nice joke !

+ Post a Comment HERE!