+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

Cannot rename folder: It is being used by another person or program

Advert.

Sweetie
    Sweetie is offline eTI Member

Angry Cannot rename folder: It is being used by another person or program

Advert.
    I just encountered this problem in my windows XP computer and I think asking here would be appropriate. My problem is that I can not rename a folder in my D: drive to something I want. It showing following error mesage: Cannot rename xyz: It is being used by another person or program I am the only person using this computer but then why it is says ?

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver
    Most probably your folder is being used by some program. Is there any executable file ie. exe in that folder . Or may be some virus is there hidden in it and its running. You can't rename until that file is stopped. You should reboot computer in safemode and then try to delete it.

To boot in safemode, when computer starts, keep pressing F8 Key and it will show option to start in safe mode.

PS: Welcome to eTI

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb

Ricky said it all. maybe the folder or(and) a file in it is being used by a process on your system
    You can rename in Safe mode but i suggest you get an Antivirus and scan your PC to prevent this from happening again. If you can't afford an Antivirus, get comodo free AV+firewall
    I recommend using firewall because the firewall informs (and asks) you what to do when an unsigned or suspicious file tries to modify your system

+ Post a Comment HERE!