+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our responsibilities as a citizen

Advert.

someshb
    someshb is offline Newbie

Our responsibilities as a citizen

Advert.
    We talk a lot about problems of this country, our leaders, our cops, industrialists, news agencies but maybe we (including me) need to come up with some simple rules to change things. I, myself, make excuse to litter that there are already 10 bags there, another 1 won't hurt or the guy will clean up tomorrow or better out there than in my car.
    No matter whom I blame or which excuse I make, I am doing some thing wrong but convince myself that it was ok (not right) to do so because...... blah blah blah...

Anyway lets make a list of simple things that we should follow. Please help me to add anything you can think of.

1) No public littering.
    2) Do not over speed, no matter how late I am getting or how fast other people are driving. Now my limit is speed limit + 10 kmph. (I know I can't drive within limit so won't do something that I can't do).
    3) No crossing red light no matter what time of day it is.

I have to go for now but will add things to the list. In the meantime, if you have something, do post it and I will put it on the list. But we need to take a vow to ourself to follow these rules.

Ricky
    Ricky is offline eTI Silver

Re: Our responsibilities as a citizen

wow!

Very nice initiative

I am glad to see a person like you, such initiatives are very much need of time.
    from your list, I am already following all but overspeed is something which I really feel sorry that every day, I know how disastrous it can be.
    Anyways, I would like to add few things in list..

4. Never cross lanes while driving and do not clog traffic while there is traffic JAM as it makes things worst. I always wished people can understand this. I really feel pity when people just try to move ahead in a JAM and making it worst. Be in line, let other side traffic move and it will get opened on its own. But ..see people feel insulted to be in LINE at such moment and even makes you feel same if you are just in line and others are passing by but clogging it more.

5. Well, I don't do this but want people not to do same and it is.. people destroying public properties just for fun.

I will add more

bulls1
    bulls1 is offline Just in!

What!
    Are you a priest ?

Or retired? That you both (Rick & Someshb) may not have anything to do other than see the car pass by.

How 'bout cutting the que (line) to buy anything or submit a form or a bill. People got no respect for others. Everyone thinks he is "bigger" than the other guy. This "ego" thing has gone wild. That's why we don't respect others when we cut them off or cut the "que". I think it's like "charity begins at home".
    We gotta learn to respect others, only then we can move forward, and try & do the "sublime" things that you guys are talking about.

Maybe your list should begin from this.

let's see what more you can add. I got a box full.

Ricky

somesbh strictly talked about changing his own but not others, like you said "Charity begins at home" but I also pointed out that if you are trying to be good then why not encourage others too.

And, yes its ego but you have to control your ownself, even if I am having guts that even a with low spec machine I can be monster on but I should not do it, let people pass at high speed and be example for them.
    Respecting others is not the solution, rather understanding yourself.
    I can't give respect to every one.. really I can't but always willing to respect those who deserves it !

someshb

I think we are diverting from main topic. Bulls1, we have been programmed for so many years to be what we are today. Can't change it in a day. Respect others concept will work wonders but I personally need to do lot of home work before I can truly "Respect All". As you said, I am so used to cutting in the driving lanes, queues that it has become way of life and I want to change me one step at a time. In fact I believe if I can follow these very few rules, changing myself for the big ones will be just matter of realisation. Anyway I will add these items in the list soon.

Ricky

Respect all..
    But there are situation when people think of you as a fool because you are treating everyone equally.
    What to do then?

7. Advert.

someshb

Ricky,
    Respect all means that you treat the person the way you would like to be treated. If somebody uses unfair means against you, you don't have to disrespect the person but fight against those unfair means. You can stand in front of the person and tell him/her what they are doing is wrong and to protest his wrong means, nature but do not have to disrespect. Biggest ever example of this is Gandhi ji. He fought against British but he didn't do anything that he did not want them to do to him.
    Maybe Bulls can explain this better than me. I am very immature in this concept. Only thing I know is that we are not patient and we pick quick ways to resolve out matters without even trying the path of truth and convince ourself that this truth thing would not have worked in this case...
    Just my view..

bulls1

Ricky, who you tryin to impress ? I think the only person we truly need to Impress is ourself. Nothing comes easy. For every action there is an effort. So we have to make the effort to get out of this rut - of trying to please others. The scriptures say "Buddhi" is the key to salvation. So this "Buddhi" has to be applied for us to pass this quagmire of delusion. And you will be free. Free from tryin to impress others and do the thing that is "right" for you.
    Good Luck and may you recognize your force.

bulls1

SomeshB, Hi,
    I think you are quite right at that. We really don't give time to the most important things. We can go see a movie and waste 3 hours without learning much in most cases, or watch a match for the day without learning much, but when it comes to things like this, we are all looking for a "short cut". There are no shortcuts when it comes to things like this. We have to follow a very simple grade school proverb. As you sow - so shall you reap. I think that should answer our issues.
    So, we should spend the time on these matters if want to get somewhere, or we can keep doing the same things that people have been doin for centuries.
    Get out of the "BOX". Observe and change shall be the easiest thing. We as humans, do not realize that change is our second or very nature. We change constantly, just observe. We are not that young or old as the second or minute or hour or day or week or month or year passes by. This is so natural for us - yet we are afraid to change.
    This is beacause we have not taken the moment to observe that we will survive the change. So go ahead "Change" and you will do fine.

& then let that light shine thru you.

someshb

Ricky,
    I did not add your suggestion because I don't think I will be following those myself and no point tell something to people not to do that I do myself. I change lanes crazy in traffic.

4. Never cross lanes while driving and do not clog traffic while there is traffic JAM as it makes things worst. I always wished people can understand this. I really feel pity when people just try to move ahead in a JAM and making it worst. Be in line, let other side traffic move and it will get opened on its own. But ..see people feel insulted to be in LINE at such moment and even makes you feel same if you are just in line and others are passing by but clogging it more.

Regarding this one, I am not sure what you mean. I am trying to put things that we can measure. This is something very subjective.

5. Well, I don't do this but want people not to do same and it is.. people destroying public properties just for fun.

Ricky

Well, I follow, its only sometimes I get out of lanes but if you are at higher speed then other then you should change the lane, nothing bad in that.
    But actually I was talking more about the situation where we have traffic problems, people try to overtake but in real making traffic worst.

About the last one, I mean.. say there is a Park and we have a fountain there , it has certain decoration and we all know if we are not dealing it properly then those decoration may not last long but knowing all this, people run over them, spit over them, make them thing to play. Ultimately ruining it. It was meant to see , not to jump over it !

Hope I am clear now !

sandeepsingh-YUVA
    sandeepsingh-YUVA is offline eTI Member

Hi! Everyone,
    well, after going through all those things mentioned above i feel like the discussion is not as matured as it is supposed to be. moreover let me tell u guys that humans are bound to fall (to do wrong). have u ever seen anything which spreads darkness? obviously not, b'coz the universe is bound to be dark. yes, u can become a bulb, or a sun depending upon your performance but you can't expect it to be forever. the moment this zeal perishes inside you, its finished. So do something by which even when you or your zeal dies then also u r bound to be in the right path. Although its a good initiative that u people are trying to amend yourself but u cant expect others to learn from u. they wont.
    all this things have been discussed during the making of our constituency and then only rules have been made or else there was no need of rules like- drive on left side, so the only thing we can do for our society is to generate the sense of responsibility among more and more people. there are rules made for traffic also but all this chaos is just 'coz the person who has been authorised to monitor is not working properly. if he works how he is supposed to be then there is no need for any Somesh to amend himself and no Ricky can ever try to change the lane in heavy traffic, and no Sandeep is needed to make community for the betterment of people.

someshb

Good point Sandeep that we can't force anybody else to change and its the people responsible for law and order are not doing their job. Looking at the situation we are in, I am trying to start the change from myself and writing down rules what I will be following. Do not expect anybody else to do so. I tell you just by posting those rules for myself here, I see the change. Atleast I do slow down if I notice I am driving fast.

sandeepsingh-YUVA
    sandeepsingh-YUVA is offline eTI Member

Hey Man where do you live?

Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by someshb
    Good point Sandeep that we can't force anybody else to change and its the people responsible for law and order are not doing their job. Looking at the situation we are in, I am trying to start the change from myself and writing down rules what I will be following. Do not expect anybody else to do so. I tell you just by posting those rules for myself here, I see the change. Atleast I do slow down if I notice I am driving fast.
    Ya, everything change start from your own. Be example for others.
    Just to add..
    ---> Daily help atleast one person, no matter if its big help or small one.

+ Post a Comment HERE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast