This dish is a favorite for breakfast or as a light snack in different parts of India. Being raised in Bihar, my mother was very fond of Chudwey. She would often prepare this dish as a special snack for guests to be served with tea. I have grown up loving this recipe and thought I would share it with all of you.

It is a quick and easy recipe to make and very delicious.
Recipe will serve 4.

Ingredients

2 cups “thick” poha (you can find in Indian grocery store)
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 cardamom
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
1 green chili, finely chopped and adjusted to taste
1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garam masala
Approximately 2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
Lemon slices to garnish
1/4 cup chopped tomato to garnish
Method

Gently wash poha in a colander and let it sit/drain for approx. 10 minutes.
Sprinkle turmeric, chili powder and salt and toss with a fork.
Wash and drain green peas and set aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. When oil is moderately hot add mustard seeds and wait till seeds crack.
Add cardamom, ginger and green chili and stir for a few seconds. Then add green peas and cook until they are tender.
Add poha and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, mixing gently. (If the poha looks too dry, add a few tablespoons of water and continue cooking).
Remove from heat and add lemon juice, sugar and cilantro. Mix and cover for few minutes.
Serve hot with a side of Hari Cilantro Chutney.
Tips

Poha comes in different thickness sizes, but you must use the “thick” poha for this recipe, or else it will become too mushy.
Varying brands of Poha may absorb water differently. Therefore use your judgment while cooking, to add a few tablespoons of water, if it feels too dry.
I am using frozen baby green peas, but you can use fresh or frozen of any style green peas. Just make sure that they are fully cooked before you add the poha