+ Post a Comment HERE!   + Ask a Question / Post a Topic

The great Indian Padma Awards

Advert.

nidhisharma
    nidhisharma is offline Newbie

Advert.
    The Padma awards 2010 were announced on Monday 25 Jan 2010. Padma Awards, the country’s highest civilian awards, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are given in all disciplines fields of activities, viz. art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.

Now, first and foremost, I would assume, that being the highest citizen awards, they would be conferred to permanent Indian citizens only and not some high profile NRI hotelier with a dubious and shocking past!

Next, what amazes me is the fact, that art, literature and culture have become such a sole responsibility of Indian Film industry. I am sure there are at least 2 awards hanging on the well furnished, done-by-interior-designer walls of every second bollywood citizen. I must congratulate the whole industry on shouldering this huge responsibility so effectively. We shouldn’t be surprised if Madam Mallika Sheravat or Miss Sherlyn Chopra are being honored next year.

But, on the contrary, these people have definitely contributed a great deal to societal development of India and bringing our proud nation at the focus of the world.
    NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal not only hoard of cases file against him, but also has adorned the prestigious FBI list. This is certainly no small achievement, is it?
    Saif Ali Khan – Oh now, even the deers are his ‘fans’. Do you think it’s a no-big-deal to date the hottest girl of bollywood? That too, when he was freshly over a relationship and she was in one? You just can’t question his credibility, guys! Again, who can question Aishwarya’s or Akshay’s contribution to cinema? It is there, people, trust, you will be able to reckon with it, someday!

However, what irks me most is the fact, that no folk performer, no education activist working in rural India, no media person who had worked hard to let truth shine by reviving long dead cases, did not feature in the list? Perhaps, our honorable madam president didn’t have time for such menial tasks.

The selection of Padma awardees has always been mired in controversy and was even stopped for several years on directions of the Apex court. Even the then President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam had to send notes to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee about irregularities highlighted in media. The guidelines framed by KR Naraynan committee are openly flouted.

The Central Information Commission, in its recent verdict has also desired that the selection-process in this case, should be made public after the announcement of the awards. Till now, even minutes of the meetings of the selection committee are not maintained and the formality of last-minute telephonic confirmation is undertaken, much later than the last date for receiving recommendations.
    As citizen of India, we take pride in these awardees, we take pride in the awards. But when they are conferred like candies to undeserving people, the pride vanishes and what remains is an abashed face.

nidhisharma
    nidhisharma is offline Newbie

The Padma awards 2010 were announced on Monday 25 Jan 2010. Padma Awards, the country’s highest civilian awards, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The awards are given in all disciplines fields of activities, viz. art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.

Now, first and foremost, I would assume, that being the highest citizen awards, they would be conferred to permanent Indian citizens only and not some high profile NRI hotelier with a dubious and shocking past!

Next, what amazes me is the fact, that art, literature and culture have become such a sole responsibility of Indian Film industry. I am sure there are at least 2 awards hanging on the well furnished, done-by-interior-designer walls of every second bollywood citizen. I must congratulate the whole industry on shouldering this huge responsibility so effectively. We shouldn’t be surprised if Madam Mallika Sheravat or Miss Sherlyn Chopra are being honored next year.

But, on the contrary, these people have definitely contributed a great deal to societal development of India and bringing our proud nation at the focus of the world.
    NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal not only hoard of cases file against him, but also has adorned the prestigious FBI list. This is certainly no small achievement, is it?
    Saif Ali Khan – Oh now, even the deers are his ‘fans’. Do you think it’s a no-big-deal to date the hottest girl of bollywood? That too, when he was freshly over a relationship and she was in one? You just can’t question his credibility, guys! Again, who can question Aishwarya’s or Akshay’s contribution to cinema? It is there, people, trust, you will be able to reckon with it, someday!

However, what irks me most is the fact, that no folk performer, no education activist working in rural India, no media person who had worked hard to let truth shine by reviving long dead cases, did not feature in the list? Perhaps, our honorable madam president didn’t have time for such menial tasks.

The selection of Padma awardees has always been mired in controversy and was even stopped for several years on directions of the Apex court. Even the then President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam had to send notes to then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee about irregularities highlighted in media. The guidelines framed by KR Naraynan committee are openly flouted.

The Central Information Commission, in its recent verdict has also desired that the selection-process in this case, should be made public after the announcement of the awards. Till now, even minutes of the meetings of the selection committee are not maintained and the formality of last-minute telephonic confirmation is undertaken, much later than the last date for receiving recommendations.
    As citizen of India, we take pride in these awardees, we take pride in the awards. But when they are conferred like candies to undeserving people, the pride vanishes and what remains is an abashed face.

+ Post a Comment HERE!