Advert.

NRI
    NRI is offline eTI Iron

Racism is a hard reality in the West: Kiran Desai

Advert.
    Racism is a hard reality in the West: Kiran Desai

Friday, January 19 2007 15:01(IST)

Subscribe to Newsletter

Jaipur, Jan 19: Booker Prize winner Kiran Desai today said that racism was a ''reality'' in the West and could not be wished away.

Reacting to the recent controversy involving Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty, Ms Desai noted that though efforts are on to promote multiculturalism in the West, racism was still an ''enormous issue.'' The author, whose Booker Prize-winning book ''The Inheritance of Loss'' itself deals with the dilemma of an immigrant caught between the two cultures of origin and living, recalled that when she was declared as the winner, some people commented ''another Indian.'' ''This has an underlying racist tone,'' she noted.

Asked about her life after the Booker, Ms Desai said that she ''realised that now all the time I am talking and travelling....

much different from the pre-Booker period of thinking, reading and writing.'' ''These days I hardly get any time to read,'' she added.

Ms Desai said though the Booker gives ''a stamp of legitimacy'' as a writer with instant recognition and helps in the selling of the book, a lot of factors like ''luck and chance'' are involved in getting the prize.

''Good writing does not come from prizes, but the prizes helps in getting legitimacy and recognition to the author and the work,'' she said, adding that she believed that her closeness and genes of her mother, renowned writer mother Anita Desai, played a significant role in her evolution as a writer.

Noting that writing the book brought her ''much close to India,'' she promised that she would frequently visit her roots to understand today's India closely.

I have faced it too ... and to add ... even i havereported a case against racisim lately to the authoritiesto invistigate upon ... it was in my work place.
    Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative

Soniya
    Soniya is offline eTI Iron

Re: Racism is a hard reality in the West: Kiran Desai

Dear Kate,

I am writing in regards to my deprivation in receiving the correct pay and humiliation and suffering caused to me during my employment in Your Company.

I was not paid my correct wages for the month of October, November and December. I was not paid my sick leave pay in the month of October and was not paid for few working days in November. Regardless of my continuous reminder no action was taken even in the next month.

I have had to face difficulties regarding my pay from the very start of my employment. I did not get paid for the first two month, later I was paid in a lump sum. I did not receive my pay in the bank for 7 months; a few times I had to pay fines to the bank for my account went in negative, I had to continuously remind the managers in order to receive my monthly wages. No one cared for the difficulty I was going through and I had to hear comments from colleagues, such as, I beg for money.

The experience left me with bitter feelings and mental torture which stopped me from coming to work from the 9th of December 2006.

Not only this I have had to face mortification and embarrassment as the managers and colleagues were never co-operative. Section manager Johann has specially been suppressive and discriminating towards me, saying, ‘You Indians only work for money.’

On the 5th of January, 2007 I received a letter from the store manager, Barbie, stating that she wanted me to report regarding my absence. So took an appointment for the 12th of January, 2007 and meet her. I was investigated upon regarding my absence. The meeting was further disheartening as Barbie showed little interest in solving my problem. She insisted on my absence and gave me two options; (which she did not mention in the investigation)
    1. I could join back on the condition of final return warning;
    2. I could resign or get dismissed.

She further added that resigning was a better option for me as if I did come back the situation would remain same for me with the same people around and resigning would also benefit me with referencing for another job. I have to let Barbie know of my decision by Friday, 19th of January, 2007.

Your Company is known for its good administration and excellent working environment. It is a brand known for quality. I have no intentions of leaving the company and I have been working here for a year now. But, my experience in the store and no indication of solving my problem leave me with no other option but to resign.

With hopes and anticipation to receive your king help,

This is an example of racisim one of my knon persone has had to face in UK.

Its a shame ... but it prevails.

mady070610
    mady070610 is offline Newbie

Re: Racism is a hard reality in the West: Kiran Desai

yes racism still exist in the west if you she sharukh khan he was also a sufferer of this .....
    the same ill feeling for north indians to south indians is analogous to the ill feeling for indians in west....
    but i assure you that the multinational companys running all over the world they have indians at a major post
    why they dont understand that if indans start to boycott ..........
    then they will be of no where.....

+ Post a Comment HERE!