I hope we all know here what is Ration Card and what are the subsidiary Ration card holder gets.

Still ..small introduction about Ration Card and who can get it :
For implementation of Targeted Public Distribution System(TPDS), Family Identity Cards Computerised Ration Card Preparation at Th Directorate(Ration Cards) have been issued to all the head of families with details of members in the family listed in the card in the following Category.

Below Poverty Line(BPL):- Those whose Annual Income is below Rs.10,000/- covered under this Scheme. Till date 15,519 FIC issued covering 43,023 populations which includes 4300 FIC of Antodaya Anna Yojana i.e poorest amongst BPL families under this UT. During the year 2002-03 total of 2999 MTs rice and 1583 MTs wheat have been lifted under BPL.

Antyodaya Anna Yojana:- Under this Yojana the poorest of the poor are to be provided 35 Kgs of Foodgrains i.e. 25 kgs rice and 10 kgs wheat per family @ price of Rs. 3/- and Rs. 2/- respectively. So far 4300 beneficiaries have been identified and getting the benefits covering 22300 population under the scheme. During the year 2002-03 total of 1302 MTs rice and 504 MTs wheat have been lifted.

Annapurna Scheme :- Under Annapurna Scheme senior citizens those who are eligible for National Old Age Pension Scheme but are presently not paid any pension and do not have regular source of income they are provided 10 kg of rice free of cost per month. Under this Scheme 130 beneficiaries so far have been identified and getting the benefit under this scheme.

Above Poverty Line(APL) :-Those whose Annual Income is above Rs.10,000/- are covered under this Scheme. Till date 71,182 FIC have been issued covering 3,30,133 population under this UT. During the year 2002-03 total of 15915 MTs rice and 4600 MTs wheat have been lifted.
I am noticing this from very young age, there was time when almost everyone around was having ration card and using it. No matter which economy class the belongs too but even at that time, I use to hear complains that they are selling everything in black and even if you manage to get one then is of no use , heavily adulterated.

You may have seen movies showing that they do lots of black marketing and then the Hero comes in and made thing available to the people in proper manner.

Well, anyone ever thought that how much really we are getting from the subsdiary. Today on a news channel they were talking about very same issue. According to them 50% of provided RATION material is directly sent for black marketting.

They were giving estimated and according to them Govt. suffers loss of almost Rs. 30,000 crore from all this.

Moreover, level of corruption is so high that you can get an ration card irrespective of your job or income for just paying Rs. 200 and those who are really in need arn't smart enough to get it even after paying bribe.

So it should be banned or Govt. should change the method of Distribution. Now .. my question .. how much more losses India can afford ?