Arrival of a baby in a family is cherished by everyone, it not only bring joy but also brings a new kind of responsibility. A baby or new-born is very delicate creature and need lots of care with support. Early days of babies are crucial, its a time when baby is getting ready to face the new world. It needs proper care and nutrition which makes building blocks of his / her body.
However, while nutrition is major player, stomach problems like gas, bloating, indigestion poses a big risk because babies can't tell us about their pain and trouble. Although there are plenty of remedies in modern medicine for such health issues in baby, but Ayurveda also holds very beneficial yet natural way to take care of babies health. Ayurveda, evolved in India, tries to bring harmony between man & nature by using holistic methods of diagnosis, prevention and treatment. Ayurveda is an alternative medicine system with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent. Lets discuss some of the baby's stomach related issues and Ayurvedic approach to manage them.
Some common causes of stomach pain in infants are Constipation is the most common cause, If your baby or child has bowel movements less frequently than usual, especially if he hasn't had one in three or more days and is uncomfortable when he does have one, he's probably constipated. Hard, dry stools that are difficult for him to pass are another sign. Ways to ease the discomfort include burping your baby frequently, keeping her upright for feedings, and giving her a gentle belly rub. You might try placing your baby's tummy down across your knees and rubbing her back.
But other culprits include gas, reflux, colic, stomach flu, upper respiratory infections, motion sickness, food allergies, lactose intolerance, intestinal blockage (obstruction), food allergies, other infections. It may take some detective work with the doctor to figure out what's causing your child's tummy trouble, especially if symptoms come and go. For clues, pay attention to when your child seems uncomfortable (like shortly after a feeding) as well as what other symptoms she has, such as a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea.
You know your child best. If your child has a stomach ache and you're concerned that something more serious is going on, call the doctor if,
- Has pain that occurs several times a day for more than three consecutive days.
- Has abdominal pain that is getting worse.
- Has other symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or fever.
- Is losing weight because of her stomach ache.
Ayurvedic home remedies for treatment
- Hing (Asafoetida) and ghee on stomach
- Take 1 tsp of hing (asafoetida) and mix it with 1 tsp of ghee. Heat it till lukewarm. The formulation could be applied on the child’s stomach four to five times a day till he gets complete relief. This is particularly helpful in stomach ache.
- Mustard Oil Massage
- We often hear about the importance of massaging the baby from our elders. This knowledge has been passed on through oral traditions from the Ayurvedic generation. A warm mustard oil massage can alleviate gas problems and colic pain. This improves blood circulation and encourages body movement so that gas can be expelled.
- Castor oil and betel leaf
- Take half a teaspoon of castor oil. Warm it till lukewarm. Apply it on the tummy region. Cover the portion with a betel leaf after applying. Castor oil helps in treating stomach ache as it stimulates the digestive system and improves the peristaltic useful in addressing constipation. Castor oil releases gas and clears bowel movement.
Ayurvedic medicines which could be of help:
- Hingwashtak Churna: 1 teaspoon could be added with ghee when having rice. ...
- Amrita Bindu: To be taken on an empty stomach with 4-5 drops added to water.
- Amlapittari Vati: A proprietary medicine used for hyperacidity.
- Pachani Rasayana: Helps in strengthening digestion.