1 cup water
I cup full-cream milk (you can use low-fat milk but full-cream tastes best)
3 tsps tea-leaves (use strong teas like Assam, Darjeeling, Nilgiri or Ceylon)
1"piece of dry ginger
2-3 cardamom pods split open
1" piece of cinnamon
1 tsp aniseed/ fennel
Sugar to taste
1. Grind all the spices together coarsely in a coffee grinder and set aside.
2. Mix the milk and water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on a high flame.
3. As the milk/water mixture begins to rise to a boil add the spice mixture and reduce the flame to a simmer.
4. When the milk/water rises to a boil again add the tea leaves, allow to rise and then turn the flame off.
5. Cover the tea and allow it to brew for 2 minutes.
6. Filter through a strainer, add sugar and enjoy!