- 4 cups or 16 oz frozen French cut green beans
- 2 cups or 6 oz frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch asafetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed (jeera)
- 5 red chilies (lal mirch)
- 2 tablespoons washed urad dal
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice adjust to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- When the cumin seeds crack, add hing, red chilies and urad dal.
- Stir-fry for half a minute, stop if the urad dal changes color.
- Add green beans and peas, mix it well, and cover the pan. Turn down the heat to medium.
- Let it cook for five to six minutes until the peas and beans are lightly tender. Do stir once in between.
- Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, salt, and turmeric.
- Let beans and peas cook without cover to allow the water to evaporate, this way the beans donít become mushy. Stir the beans occasionally. Beans and peas should be lightly moist.
- After turning of the heat add lemon juice.
- Urad dal can be replaced with washed moong or chana dal.
- Use as a filling to grilled sandwiches.