Ingredients for Rasmalai Patties:
Ingredients for Milk mixture:
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Pressure cooker
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon crush cardamom
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds and pistachios to garnish
Making the Rasmalai:
- Mix lemon juice in half a cup of hot water and keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed over medium-high heat, stirring frequently making sure milk do not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- As the milk comes to a boil, add the lemon juice slowly and stir the milk gently. The curd will start separting from the whey, turn off the heat.
- Once the milk fat has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth or muslin cloth.
- Wrap the curd in a muslin cloth, rince under cold water, and squeeze well. This process takes out the sourness from the lemon.
- To take out the excess water squeeze the cloth, or press the wrapped paneer under a heavy pan for about one hour. Taking the right amount of water out of the paneer is the most important part of this recipe.
- To check if enough water is out of the paneer, take a little piece of paneer on your palm and rub with your fingers. After rubbing the paneer for about 15-20 seconds, you should be able to make a firm but smooth ball.
- If the paneer is too dry, add a few drops of water, using the water squeezed from the paneer.
- Once the paneer is drained, place on a dry, clean surface and knead the paneer for 3-4 minutes until the paneer is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
- Knead the paneer by dragging the palm of your hand hard on the paneer. Keep scooping it back to togather and knead more. Your palm will be little greasy.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll them in smooth balls.
- To make the balls apply some prassure at the first and then release when forming the balls, lightly press to make about 3/4″ patty shape.
- Mix the sugar and water in a pressure cooker on medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the paneer balls and close the pressure cooker. After the pressure cooker starts steaming, turn the heat to medium and cook for about seven minutes.
- Make sure the cooker is large enough to accommodate the finished rasgullas patties, as they will expand to about double in the volume while cooking in the syrup!
- Close the heat and wait a few minutes befor opening the pressure cooker. Pour cold water over the cooker before opening.
- Take out the patties from the syrup and squeeze them lightly,and keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a frying pan on medium heat until the milk reduce to about 2 cups.
- Make sure to frequently stir the milk as the milk burns easily in bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar and the Rasmalai patties in milk. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the cardamom and mix in. Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios.
- Serve the Rasmalai chilled.